Worldviews Pre-Conference Event
On April 4, 2011, MaRSDD and the Treehouse Group hosted the introductory event for the Worldviews Conference on Media and Higher Education. This pre-conference event was a closed door session for a select group of innovative thinkers from the worlds of academia and journalism, and served as a catalyst for conversations about the barriers that prevent researchers from communicating effectively with and through the media.
Our 80+ guests included researchers, administrators, PR experts, publishers and journalists from a wide variety of disciplines and institutions. Attendees had the opportunity to make meaningful professional connections through a series of brainstorming exercises and group discussions that examined best practices in interacting with different media, and over drinks at the end of the programming. Highlights came from Inside Higher Ed’s Academic Minute program, which is broadcast on NPR.
These themes were subsequently explored more deeply at the Worldviews Conference, held June 16-18, 2011, at various locations across Toronto.
- 12:30-1:00 Registration.
- 1:00-1:15 Greetings from the MaRS Discovery District.
- 1:15-1:30 A few words from keynote speaker Megan Boler.
- 1:30-2:10 Bridging the Divide via “speed dating” for ideas.
- 2:10-2:20 Kevin McCaffrey (from The Academic Minute) shares a few thoughts.
- 2:20-3:00 Brainstorming Solutions: Small group discussions explore barriers in communication between the two sides, academia and journalism.
- 3:00-3:30 Tying it together: Discussing the groups’ findings, and possible next steps.
- 3:30-4:30 Further discussions over drinks and snacks.